Key Stage 4

Key Stage 4

Pupils who choose to study music for GCSE follow the Edexcel syllabus. Within this there are four areas of study, each which contain 12 set works for study. These are organised as below. 

Area of Study 1

Area of Study 2

Area of Study 3

Area of Study 4

Western classical music 1600-1899

Music in the 20th Century

Popular music in context

World Music

Set Works

G F Handel:Chorus: And The Glory of The Lord from Messiah, HWV 56

A Schoenberg:Peripetie from Five Orchestral Pieces, Op. 16

M Davis:All Blues from the album Kind of Blue

Capercaillie:Chuir M'Athair Mise Dhan Taigh Charraideach (Skye Waulking Song) from the album Nàdurra

W A Mozart:1stMovement from Symphony No. 40 in G minor, K. 550

L Bernstein:Something's Coming from West Side Story

J Buckley:Grace from the album Grace

A Shankar:Rag Desh from the album Live at Carnegie Hall

F Chopin:Prelude No 15 in D flat major, Op. 28

S Reich:3rd Movement (fast) from Electric Counterpoint

Moby:Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad? From the album Play

Koko: Yiri

At the end of the course pupils undertake a listening exam, which is based on the 12 set works studied and makes up 40% of their overall Grade. The other 60% of the final grade is made up of 4 Controlled Assessment tasks which take place between the Summer Term of Y10 and Easter of Y11. There are 2 Composing and 2 Performing tasks and each is worth 15%.

During the course pupils undertake a listening test at the end of each of the 12 topics and also produce assessed performances or compositions based on many of the topics. The results of these assessments are plotted on pupil progress grids so that pupils can see what areas to improve in and are provided with targets to do so.

Key Stage 4 Scheme of Work 

Autumn Term

Spring Term

Summer Term

Year 10

G F Handel – 'And the Glory of the Lord' – Chorus form 'Messiah

W A Mozart – 1st Movement form Symphony No. 40 in Gm.

Rag Desh

A.Schoenberg – 'Peripete' from 'Five Orchestral Pieces', Op.16

L Bernstein – 'Something's Coming' from 'West Side Story'

F Chopin - 'Piano Prelude No 15 in D flat Major' Op.28

M.Davis 'All Blues' from 'Kind of Blue'

J Buckley – 'Grace' from 'Grace'

S Reich – '3rd Movement (Fast)' from 'Electric Counterpoint'

Capercaille – 'Skye Waulking Song' from 'Nadurra'


Autumn Term

Spring Term

Summer Term

Year 11

Moby – 'Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad?' from 'Play'

Controlled Assessment Time – Performing and Composing

Revision and Listening Exam

Koko – 'Yiri'

Controlled Assessment Time – Performing and Composing